Katz, Marshall & Banks partner Michael A. Filoromo spoke at the Practising Law Institute (PLI) webcast, Corporate Whistleblowing in 2021. Mr. Filoromo participated in the panel, “Post-Pandemic and Return-to-Work Whistleblowing Issues” with panelists Jill Rosenberg (Orrick) and Teri M. Wigger (U.S. Department of Labor, OSHA), and moderated by Steven J. Pearlman (Proskauer Rose LLP).
The discussion centered around employment-related whistleblower issues in the coronavirus-era workplace, and included insights about:
- Occupational Safety and Health-related whistleblowing and enforcement schemes
- What constitutes protected whistleblowing? Is an employee’s refusal to work or refusal to be vaccinated protected under whistleblower statutes?
- How is OSHA prioritizing and investigating COVID-19-related and return-to-work whistleblower complaints?
- What private rights of action exist for health and safety whistleblower plaintiffs?
- How can companies best protect and defend themselves against such claims?
The PLI program is available to download on demand and is approved for CLE credit in most states.