Katz, Marshall & Banks partner David J. Marshall coedited a comprehensive 2016 update on the anti-retaliation provision of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) entitled the "2016 SOX Midwinter Report." Partner Alison B. Asarnow was also a contributing author to the paper. The 117-page white paper provides a detailed examination of the Act, covering topics including:
- The effect of the Dodd-Frank Act on SOX's whistleblower provisions;
- What employers are covered by SOX;
- What activity is protected by SOX;
- What constitutes an adverse action under SOX;
- The procedures for filing a SOX retaliation claim;
- What remedies are available to SOX whistleblowers;
- And much more.
Mr. Marshall presented the paper at the American Bar Association's Section of Labor and Employment Law, which met for its Midwinter Meeting from February 17-19, 2016. Mr. Marshall presented at a panel entitled "SOX: Strengthening SOX’s Anti-Retaliation Provision and Related Statutes, where he was joined by employment defense attorneys Harry W. Wellford, Jr., of Littler Mendelson P.C., and Connie Bertram of Proskauer.